Serve in Leadership
As a member of Riverview First United Methodist Church, you are cordially invited to serve in a leadership capacity. You are invited to attend most meetings, while other require only that you be added to a committee. We are working to offer a set meeting schedule so that you know where and when to attend.
- The United Methodist Men has moved its meeting to the first Sunday immediately after church. All men are welcome and encouraged to attend. See Jack Findlay for more information.
- The Church Council meets on the second Tuesday of odd numbered months. Jim Allen is our new Church Council President. One of the purposes of the Church Council is to hear from all standing committees and to coordinate churchwide activities and building usage.
- The Vision Committee, which is planning the church’s role in Riverview community, generally meets on the first Monday of every odd month. The Vision Committee meeting will be sponsoring a churchwide planning meeting on Saturday, March 2nd. See Connie Mosley or Mindy Williams for more information.
- The Care Committee, which plans fellowship and care events for the congregation, meets the second Monday of the month. See Connie Mosley for details.
- The Staff-Parish Committee, which handles personnel issues has closed meetings on the third Monday of the month. You must be a member of the committee (or church staff) to attend these meetings—see Mindy Williams for details.
- The Trustees meet the first Tuesday of every month. Gary Floyd is the new chairman of this committee.
- The Finance Committee meets on second Tuesday of even numbered months. Mike Plett is the chair of this committee, and Vollie Rifner is the church treasurer.
We cannot be successful without you. Join a committee and become involved. Or, if committee participation is not for you, please let us know if you have any issues, concerns, or suggestions.
If you or someone you know needs prayer, please fill out the yellow Prayer and Connect Card located on the back of each pew. These cards are passed along to the Prayer Warriors of RUMC. Our Prayer Warriors meet every Sunday in Room #8 immediately after the service for 15 minutes of prayer. It is their honor to pray for you.
Also, Prayer and Connect Cards can be used if you want the church to know that you are interested in becoming a member, or if you would like to receive more information about our church.
We Are Looking for Collection Counters
We are looking for folks to serve as counters. Counters post the weekly collections after the service, and they are usually finished in about half an hour. If you can count money and run a computer, your help would be valuable. Come to the library after the Sunday worship service and speak with Danette Garcia or Carole Bradley. We will put you to work.
Getting to Know You
Pastor Telcy would like to get to know you. If you are interested in talking with the Pastor, he has left “signup sheets” on the back and front tables in our church. Please fill in your name, phone number and the date and time you would like to meet with him. Or you can make an appointment with him by calling the church office
RUMC Book Club News
The RUMC Book Club is currently exploring “The Husband’s Secret” by Liane Moriarty. This is a review of the book from Goodreads:
At the heart of The Husband’s Secret is a letter that’s not meant to be read. It begins “My darling Cecilia, if you are reading this, then I have died.”
Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive.
Acclaimed author Liane Moriarty has written a gripping, thought-provoking novel about how well it is really possible to know our spouses—and, ultimately, ourselves.
The RUMC Book Club meets every Saturday morning at 9:00 AM—usually at the home of Connie Mosley, 9720 Lorrayne Road in Riverview. You can contact Connie at 766-7104 for more information.